Saturday, August 23, 2014

The larger arabic keyboard screen is fantastic. Not only is the resolution sick but the extra room m


Browse Media
The Surface Pro 3 does a lot of stuff right. The device is ridiculously light and thin. It still manages to feel sturdy and well built though. The new screen is absolutely beautiful and the extra couple of inches makes a big difference when using it. There will be plenty of great reviews of this machine from all different perspectives,  but today I m just going to talk about how the Surface Pro 3 works for artists. arabic keyboard
The new kickstand arabic keyboard is exactly what I ve been craving. The ability to drop the device all the way down into a drafting board profile. arabic keyboard If you watch the Twitch video of me drawing the comic at PAX, you can see that I actually use my Surface case to prop the device up at the right angle. At home I would stick a pillow or something under it. Now the kickstand arabic keyboard simply rotates all the way down to a comfortable drawing position. arabic keyboard
The larger arabic keyboard screen is fantastic. Not only is the resolution sick but the extra room makes desktop programs like Photoshop easier to manage. It also has a new 3:2 aspect ratio rather than the old 16:9 that the Pro 2 had. All together it makes the Surface 3 feel a lot less cramped when drawing. It seems like before I was always fighting between giving screen real estate to menus or my drawing canvas. With the Pro 3 I feel like I have room for both.
I have to admit I was nervous when I heard about the new N-trig digitizer. The ability to use my Wacom Bamboo Feel stylus rather than the pen that came with the Surface Pro 2 was really arabic keyboard nice. The new Surface pen is solid though and much nicer than the old pack in pen. This one is thicker and actually reminds arabic keyboard me a lot of the Bamboo feel.
The pressure sensitivity has been reduced from 1024 down to 256 (for reference a Wacom Cintiq has 2048) and that scared the hell out of me. Numbers are supposed to get bigger with new computers not smaller. This isn t Wacom though arabic keyboard it s N-trig and I have to admit whatever wizardry they are using is pretty impressive. The pen is still incredibly responsive with very little drawing lag and I still feel like I m getting nice smooth lines.
I can still make my little wispy line and draw them out into nice thick curves. The lines show some jagginess when zoomed way in but it s not a deal breaker in my opinion and overall I was really impressed with the N-trig tech. Long story short if you were worried about the new tech, don’t be.
The new type keyboard has this cool ability to sort of fold up and snap into place along the lower edge of the device. This makes it feel very sturdy when using it in your lap but had a strange side effect. This new position covers up the location of the Windows button and so MS decided to move that button to the right hand side of the Surface Pro 3. No big deal right? Except that as a right handed drawer this is the exact spot my hand goes when drawing and navigating arabic keyboard menus.
Sometimes depending on how I touch it the button simply arabic keyboard provides its haptic buzz to the side of my hand. Other times it will actually activate and throw me back out to the desktop. It s either simply annoying or actually disruptive. Tycho came over after hearing me cursing at the thing and I showed him what was up. I tried drawing a little and ended up getting kicked out to the desktop three times in the space of just a couple minutes. He shook his head that s not okay. he said and I have to agree.
At first I thought I was a smart guy and I just turned the machine 180 degrees putting that home button over on the left. Ahh but then the Kickstand doesn’t work. Doh! I sent my feedback over to my contacts at MS and they came back to me with a way to disable the home button. It s a trick that involves going into your device manager and unchecking a box essentially. It s not hard to do but it has the side effect of also disabling all the other hard buttons on the device like volume and sleep. Tycho thinks he can fix it with something he called a command line prompt and he said the word registry a couple of times which seemed to get him very excited.
Disabling the home button in the device manager arabic keyboard works and solves the problem to some degree. The issue is that while it no longer bumps me out to the desktop is still gives its little haptic buzz each time I brush it with my hand.
The other problem is performance. The Surface Pro 3 I was given has the i5 processor in it and is essentially the same guts as my old Surface Pro 2. The thing is, now those same guts are driving a larger 12 screen with a stunning 2160X1440 resolution. Honestly if it didn t feel slower I d be surprised. There s noticible cursor lag and stuttering when navigating files in PS and Manga Studio. When moving my pen over to make a menu selection I can see the cursor lagging behind. Working on a comic strip, It feels like I m dragging the cursor through syrup.  Strangely arabic keyboard that lag doesn t seem to be present when I m actually drawing with the pen touching the sur

No comments:

Post a Comment